Welcome to Episode 129 of the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast.
This week's episode features a photographer who has taken his passion for landscape photography and built a commercial photography business out of it. Dan Hawk is a Portland, Oregon photographer and former full-time bank employee who decided to use his knowledge he gained in the business world to create a niche commercial photography business for himself.
Dan and I covered a lot of fun ground this week, including:
- His journey as a landscape photographer.
- How Dan created his commercial photography business after starting as a landscape photographer.
- Dan's involvement in a camera strap company called Luma Labs.
- How to value our work as photographers.
- ...lots more!
- Dan and I discuss the challenges between the need for creativity and business acumen and how sometimes its hard to separate the two. A memorable quote from Dan, "Selling and creating are not the same thing..."
By the way, I'm really excited to announce that I have officially joined as an instructor at the esteemed Landscape Photography Conference, Out of Chicago. I'll be joining them for three conferences this year - Out of Moab, Out of Acadia, and Out of Yosemite. Out of Yosemite will be February 5-9, 2020. I will be teaching, recording podcasts, and hosting panel discussions with some of our favorite photographers and past guests, including Alex Noriega, Coleen Miniuk, Charlotte Gibb, Jack Curran, Michael Frye, and more. I hope to see you there! If you're interested in attending, follow the link in the liner notes and use the code "fstop250" for $250 off your registration.
Here are the photographers that Dan recommended for the podcast:
1. Hudson Henry.
2. Steve Yocom.
3. Alexa Hope.